Volunteering at St. Michael’s
(March 12, 2020) - Please note that the St. Michael's Hospital volunteer program is currently suspended in order to better protect the health and safety of our volunteers, patients, families and staff.
If you are a current volunteer, please check your email or leave us a voicemail message for information and updates.
If you are a future applicant, please periodically check our website for updates as to when we will resume normal operations.Thank you.
Things to consider before applying
Volunteering at St. Michael’s is a serious commitment. Before you apply, we want to make sure that you understand the volunteer role and the requirements of volunteering:
- A typical volunteer placement is three to four hours, once per week.
- The minimum initial commitment is 125 hours for adults (approximately one year) and 70 hours for students (approximately one academic year or one summer).
- Please note that the majority of our placements occur during weekdays, with fewer placements on evenings and weekends.
- The volunteer role has certain boundaries and no volunteer role will include any tasks that can legally be performed only by a health care professional (physician, pharmacist, physiotherapist, laboratory technician, etc.). Volunteering will not allow you the opportunity to practice or develop your clinical or technical skills.
- There are no placements that are specifically designed for medical administration graduates to practice their skills.
- There are some areas of the hospital that do not offer volunteer opportunities, such as the pharmacy, food services, security, housekeeping, engineering and the supplies area. If you have a specific volunteer area in mind, please contact Volunteer Services before completing the application.
- Do you wish to volunteer with a hospital researcher?
- Do you wish to volunteer your feedback on our services?
- The minimum age to volunteer is 16 (at the time of application). However, because of the non-clinical environment and onsite supervision given to Gift Shop volunteers, 15-year-olds may apply for Gift Shop sales positions.
- Applicants must have proof of health insurance.
- Applicants must have been residents in Canada for at least 12 months prior to applying.
- Due to the customer service nature of volunteering, volunteers must have excellent communication skills, including verbal and written English.
- If you have arranged your own volunteer placement, the manager of the unit/area must contact Volunteer Services for approval.
- Successful applicants will be required to complete a Criminal Background Check.