Advanced Clinical Practice Fellowship Program
The Advanced Clinical Practice Fellowship at St. Michael’s Hospital Department of Anesthesia is a program designed to offer trainees an opportunity to gain more experience in the overall context of anesthesia practice, including anesthesia for high-risk procedures.
As the adult trauma centre for downtown Toronto, St. Michael's is a hub for trauma, neurosurgery, complex cardiac and cardiovascular care, minimally invasive surgery and care of the homeless and disadvantaged. St. Michael’s is also one of the province’s major sites of care for critically ill patients. This combination of factors makes St. Michael's a host for critically ill patients who need surgery and clinical care, and offers learning opportunities for physicians and other health-care workers in a high quality multidisciplinary environment. St. Michael's is a fully-affiliated hospital with the University of Toronto.
ACP Fellows in this program will provide anesthesia services for of all types of surgery carried out at St. Michael’s Hospital, except cardiac anesthesia and critical care (please see other programs offered in our department for details about fellowship opportunities in these areas).
With 16 rooms in the main OR complex and six additional rooms in the ambulatory OR, St. Michael's Hospital provides services for a variety of surgical specialties. These include General Surgery, Trauma Surgery, Urology, Orthopedics, Plastics, Gynecology &, Obstetrics, Minimally Invasive and Robotic Surgery, Ophthalmology, Vascular surgery, Neurosurgery, and a Spine Surgery program. We also cover 18 acute care beds in the Main Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) and in the Ambulatory PACU. ACP Clinical Fellows will have the opportunity to work in the main OR and in the ancillary anesthetic locations for elective and urgent procedures. Fellows might also be involved in providing care in the pre-assessment clinic.
Ancillary anesthetic locations include:
- three cardiac catheterization and electrophysiology labs for angiography, stenting, implantable defibrillator insertion, MAZE, ablation procedures and more
- A neuro-angiography suite providing care for patients requiring complex neuro interventional procedures
- Multiple endoscopy suites
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging suites
- A dedicated floor for labor & delivery, including two ORs and multiple L&D patient rooms
ACP fellows will also be included in the on-call roster and will be required to also work nights, weekends and holidays on a rotation basis. We are proud to offer pre- and post-call time off for our fellows and limit the number of on-call to a monthly average of eight night and/or weekend calls, although the actual number is usually well below the limit. All our fellows receive a competitive salary and extended health benefits.
- two positions starting each January
- two additional positions starting January.
Programs are 6-12 months in length, according to the trainee’s goals and objectives. Fellows usually work full-time (100 per cent, five days per week), but a reduced workload (60-80 per cent, 3-4 days/week) can be considered upon request (include details and information on application and letter of interest).
Applications will only be analyzed if proof of English proficiency is provided. Each hospital site of the University of Toronto can request different minimum scores or grant waivers at their discretion. Therefore, you must inquire the minimum score for each site if applying for multiple sites/programs. Review general guidelines for applying to Fellowship programs.
English proficiency requirements for St. Michael's Hospital Department of Anesthesia Fellowships
- If your medical school was taken in English but English is not the official language of your country, you must still provide proof of English proficiency.
- Minimum scores for English proficiency tests:
- Anesthesia Education and Simulation Fellowship:
- TOEFL-IBT minimum score of 100 (minimum 25 in each section) OR
- IELTS ACADEMIC minimum overall score of 7.5 or higher (minimum of 7.5 in each section)
- All Other Fellowship Programs:
- TOEFL-IBT minimum score of 93 (including a minimum score of 24 on the speaking section and minimum of 23 on all other sections) OR
- IELTS ACADEMIC minimum overall score > 7.0 (minimum score of 7.0 in each section)
- Anesthesia Education and Simulation Fellowship:
To apply online for this program, please select it from the link on the U of T Anesthesia Fellowships Offered page.
Filipe Nadir Caparica Santos, MD, PhD, MScCH (HPTE), CPSO Recognized Specialist (Anesthesiology)
ACP Fellowship Program Director| Department of Anesthesia, St. Michael's Hospital
Director Fellows Program| Department of Anesthesia, St. Michael's Hospital
Staff Physician | Department of Anesthesia, St. Michael's Hospital
Assistant Professor | Department of Anesthesia, University of Toronto
416. 864.5071 | email@example.com
30 Bond St, 6th Floor Donnely Wing, Toronto, ON M5B 1W8