(March 12, 2020) - Please note that the St. Michael's Hospital volunteer program is currently suspended in order to better protect the health and safety of our volunteers, patients, families and staff.
If you are a current volunteer, please check your email or leave us a voicemail message for information and updates.
If you are a future applicant, please periodically check our website for updates as to when we will resume normal operations.Thank you.
Co-op program in health care
St. Michael’s secondary school co-op placements provide students with work experience in a variety of areas in the Hospital. The co-op program has three curricular goals: development of workplace skills, exploration of careers in healthcare and understanding the science and technology behind patient care.
Each co-op student is assigned to a “core placement” (inpatient unit, outpatient clinic or service, research area, etc). Students will spend the majority of their co-op time in their core placement area performing the duties outlined in their placement role description.
In addition, co-op students participate in modules designed to support the co-op curriculum including: tours of medical imaging and blood labs; educational sessions; and skills workshops. Students will be required to prepare a summary presentation at the end of their placement.
How to apply
In order to participate, students must be at least 16 years of age, in Grade 11 – 12 and enrolled in their school’s co-op education program. Co-op at St. Michael’s is a single semester in duration (1/2 or full days). Interested students must submit the following through their co-op teacher:
- A completed co-operative education healthcare placement application, signed by the co-op teacher and the student.
- Completed Work Education Agreement.
- Two references and a resume.
- Credit Counselling Summary
Completed applications are reviewed on a continuous basis and in the order in which they are received. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted to arrange their interview at the Hospital. Placement offers will be made on an ongoing basis.
The timeframe for selection (application review, interviews and placement offers) is:
- Semester I : mid-June to mid-September (no applications will be accepted after the second Friday in September)
- Semester II : early December to mid-January (no applications will be accepted after the second last Friday in January)
It is strongly encouraged that students apply early as placements are limited.
For co-op teachers
- St. Michael's Hospital co-op program – fast facts
- St. Michael's Hospital co-op program – course outline
- Health care co-op application - all boards
For more information