Programs & Focus Areas
Trauma & Neurosurgery
Trauma Neurosurgery Program
The Trauma program was accredited in 2006 by the Trauma Association of Canada as a Level 1 trauma centre. As a Level 1 trauma centre, our regional responsibilities include:
- the provision of a leadership role in the provincial trauma system;
- an advisory role within the provincial trauma network;
- an advisory to the MOHLTC on the provincial trauma system;
- a central role in the regional trauma system;
- care to the majority of the multisystem trauma patients in the region (Southern GTA and South Central Ontario);
- complex and unique (quaternary) trauma services for the province;
- and academic leadership including trauma training and research programs.
Our trauma team is composed of multidisciplinary specialists and services including; the blood bank, sophisticated medical imaging department and operating rooms immediately available to attend to patients 24/7. The Allen T. Lambert Trauma and Neurosurgery Intensive Care Unit (TNICU) always has a bed ready to receive a critically ill trauma patient.
The Neurosurgery service at St. Michael's Hospital is a busy inner city urban practice and one of 12 adult neurosurgical centres in Ontario. It is one of the largest that provide highly specialized neurovascular services including endovascular neurosurgery, aneurysm coiling, carotid stenting and vascular malformation management. The division of neurosurgery distinguishes itself by providing neurosurgical care to patients with:
- neurovascular disease;
- complex skull base lesions including pituitary tumours;
- brain tumours;
- and combined neurosurgery and orthopedic spinal care for patients with spinal disease.
We maintain strong partnerships with our referring and rehabilitation partners given the high percentage of patients who required continued care in a hospital setting beyond their acute care stay. Within the program, concerted repatriation efforts in both the critical care and in patient areas have contributed to efficient use of resources within the program.
The Trauma Program at St. Michael’s Hospital was established in 1992 with the regionalization of trauma care in the city of Toronto. Find out more.