Trauma and Neurosurgery
Head Injury Clinic
What is the Head Injury Clinic?
The goal of the clinic is to provide consultation and/or management and treatment for patients who have sustained mild and moderate traumatic brain injury.We want to ensure patients receive appropriate information and access to services and we often collaborate with other providers across the system to best meet patients' needs.The clinic is run by a multidisciplinary team that consists of Dr. Donna Ouchterlony who is the director of special projects along with many other physicians, physical therapists, social workers and psychiatrists.This clinic serves a unique patient population and therefore we are not only committed to providing excellence in care but we are committed to understanding and treating our patients more effectively.
- Clinic location: Neurosurgery Clinic, 3rd floor of Donnelly Wing South
- Clinic hours: Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Telephone number: 416-864-6060 ext. 6359 (to book or cancel appointments)
- Office hours: Monday, Wednesday to Friday: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Telephone number: 416-864-5520 (for queries and concerns)
What we do
- provide consultation and/or management and treatment for patients who have sustained mild and moderate traumatic brain injury
- ensure patients receive appropriate information and access to services
- collaborate with other providers across the system to best meet patients' needs
- patients may be provided with medical, cognitive and psycho-social assessments. In some cases, the goal of the assessment is to diagnose if the patient has indeed suffered a mild traumatic brain injury/concussion.
- The mandate of the clinic is to provide follow-up treatment and care to St. Michael’s Hospital’s patients who have suffered TBI. Patients are referred directly from the Trauma Neurosurgery Department and Emergency Department at St. Michael's Hospital.
- Non-traumatic brain injuries
- Injuries greater than 1 year old
- To avoid duplication of services, inpatients of Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Bridgepoint Health and West Park Healthcare Centers’ ABI Rehab Programs will be followed at the hospital where they received physiatrist treatment.
- Work-related injuries are recommended to be followed up through the neurology assessment clinic at the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute or Complex Injury Outpatient Rehabilitation Program.
- Usually through the St. Michael’s Hospital Trauma and Neurosurgery Program or through the St. Michael’s Hospital Emergency Department
- When a patient has reached maximum recovery and/or has a treatment team in place and/or is back to pre-morbid activity levels whenever possible
- At the discretion of the treating physician and Head Injury Clinic team