Support / Professional Services
Our social workers provide a wide range of support and services to patients and families across all program areas at the Hospital. As an integral part of the health care team, we play a vital role in assisting patients and their families cope with the issues that can accompany hospitalization.
We help inpatients, outpatients and patients’ families to:
- Deal with crises.
- Cope with illness and other life stressors.
- Help with grief, loss and bereavement issues.
- Identify and solve problems with relationships.
- Enhance communication with the medical treatment team to enable patients and families to be active partners in their own healthcare.
- Access hospital and community services.
- Provide information and referral on community resources for treatment and support.
Many of our social workers participate in evidence-based research and teaching initiatives within their programs and in partnership with academic institutions. We also provide clinical and academic placements to graduate students from the University of Toronto and York University and to undergraduate students from Ryerson University and other accredited institutions.
Our profession is regulated under the Social Work and Social Service Work Act, 1998. All social workers at the Hospital are registered members of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
Social workers are legally required to report suspected cases of abuse and neglect of children.
If you or your family member would like to see a social worker, please speak with your physician or nurse. For information about social work services, please contact:
Manager, Collaborative Practice and Education
416-864-6060 ext. 6110
Managers Collaborative Practice and Education