Mental Health and Addictions Service
Inpatient Psychiatric Service
What we do
The inpatient program is a 33-bed unit that includes twenty one ward beds, 10 acute care beds and four intermediate care beds. Services are provided by an interdisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, peer support, discharge planners, occupational therapist and pharmacist. The team provides psychiatric treatment for individuals requiring a safe and therapeutic 24-hour environment.
Treatment modalities include psychiatric care, pharmacological treatment, ECT, supportive therapy, primary nursing and group activities. Provisions of care strive to reflect principles of the Recovery Model.
- assessment and identification of mental health problems and stressors that precipitated the current episode of care
- identification of strengths and resources that facilitate community integration and recovery initiation of treatment and discharge planning.
- withdrawal and detoxification protocols for individuals with concurrent diagnosis of substance use and mental illness.
- diagnosis and treatment of co-morbid medical conditions.
- coordination and facilitation of discharge linkages.
Adults 18 years and older suffering from a serious mental illness and/or experiencing a crisis. Referrals come from the Psychiatric Emergency Service, other St. Michael’s inpatient services, or St. Michael’s psychiatrists in our addictions, ambulatory, community outreach or medical psychiatry programs.
How to access the service
For further information please contact 416-864-3088.