Department of Family and Community Medicine and St. Michael’s Academic Family Health Team
As a patient of this family health team you are welcome to attend our free classes.
Speak with your health care provider about which classes would be good for you. To sign up, please call 416-864-6060 ext. 8367.
ClassesChronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
A group or individual class that:
- Screens you for COPD
- Helps you better understand COPD and its treatment
- Can provide you with on-going COPD management support as you need it
The Craving Change Program™ assists people who are trying to discover their problematic eating triggers and learn new healthier ways of managing them. Participants must attend all four sessions and each session is two hours.
- Diabetes 101: a three hour class for patients who want to learn about diabetes
- Diabetes Path: a three hour class for pre-diabetic patients focused on better eating, exercise and decreasing stress.
- Living well with Diabetes: Two hour class for patients with diabetes, who are in good diabetic control. We provide new information, glucometer updates, and can help to answer individual questions.
- Living well with Pre-Diabetes: a two hour follow up class for patients who have attended our diabetes path class.
Healthy eating for your heart
This two hour class will teach you how to eat well for your heart by teaching you how to choose healthier foods, reducing your salt and sugar, and learning how to read food labels.
Life after trauma
A 10 week group therapy class for men and women (separate), ages 18 and up, who are suffering from physical and/or emotional symptoms of trauma.
Living with high blood pressure
A group class to help you understand:
- What blood pressure is
- How high blood pressure can affect your health
- How to manage your blood pressure
Prenatal and early pregnancy classes
This series of four classes covers: Fetal development, stages of labour, comfort measures, medical interventions, care after birth, and breastfeeding and newborn care basics. Patients are invited to bring one guest/support person/partner.
Early pregnancy (less than 24 weeks) education sessions:
Two classes offered to pregnant patients, best suited for early stages of pregnancy. Topics include: prenatal nutrition, environmental hazards, medication safety and physical and emotional fitness in pregnancy.
Quit smoking (smoking cessation clinic)
The smoking cessation clinic consists of two parts:
- A 90 minute class to check your readiness to quit, provide information about medications and therapies available to help you succeed.
- Individual counseling sessions