Programs & Focus Areas
Diabetes Comprehensive Care Program
This unique program takes a multidisciplinary approach to managing patients with diabetes and its related complications. Patients receive comprehensive, one-stop care. The program includes:
- prevention and research into the causes of diabetes and its associated complications, which is becoming more common with the aging population;
- risk reduction and treatment of heart attacks, kidney failure, circulatory problems and other concerns;
- treatment from experts in the areas of nephrology, endocrinology, nutrition, urology, ophthalmology, pharmacy, nursing and social work; and
- research in vascular biology, metabolic regulation, risk
modification, lipids, complication progression, patient
impact and end-stage
renal disease management.
We offer these services:
- Osteoporosis Outreach Program
- Renal Services
- Renal Transplant Program
Patient education: insulin
An important part of diabetes management is controlling your blood glucose (sugar) levels. One way to do this is by using insulin. All people with type 1 diabetes and many with type 2 diabetes require insulin to manage their blood sugar levels.
These videos were created with the help of the Canadian Diabetes Association, the team in the Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology at St. Michael’s Hospital, health-care providers from across Canada, and people living with diabetes who currently use insulin.