Registration & Orientation
Registering with St. Michael's Student Centre
All students are asked to contact their university or college for initial registration and placement/rotation coordination prior to registering with the Student Centre. Please note that the Student Centre does not independently organize placements/rotations.
Once you have a confirmed placement with us, either your academic site or one of our education coordinators will provide you with the link to our online student registration system. We ask that you register online with our office at least five business days in advance to ensure that your first day at St. Michael’s goes as smoothly as possible.
On your first day, please report to the Student Centre to complete your registration. The centre is located at 209 Victoria St in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, 5th floor, Suite 575.
You must complete all mandatory training indicated in your online registration prior to the Student Centre team registering you in person on your first day. If you indicated that you have not completed one of the mandatory training items, you will need to do so prior to your first day, otherwise we cannot finalize your registration.
- For Mask Fit Testing/TB testing/Immunizations: Please contact St. Michael’s Corporate Health and Safety Services to make an appointment at 416-864-5013. Please note you may be charged for these services.
- Mandatory training: all other mandatory training is available through our orientation page.
- ID badges: all students will be required to present 2 pieces of original, valid photo ID to obtain their badge from the following list:
- Primary identity documents:
- Birth certificate issued by a Canadian Province or Territory
- Canadian Certificate of Birth Abroad
- Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
- Canadian Certificate of Indian or Metis Status
- Citizenship Identification Card
- Driver's License
- Firearm Registration License
- Certification of Naturalization
- A valid Passport issued by a foreign jurisdiction
- Canadian Passport
- Confirmation of Permanent Resident (IMM 5292)
- Permanent Resident Card
- Statement of Live Birth from Canadian Province (Certified Copy)
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada-Refugee Protection Claimant Document
- Canadian Permanent Resident Card
- Ontario Photo Card
- Secondary identity documents:
- BYID Card (Formerly Age of Majority Card)
- Canadian Convention Refugee Determination Division Letter
- Canadian Employment Authorization
- Canadian Immigrant Visa Card
- Canadian Minister's Permit
- CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) Photo Registration Card
- Canadian Police Force Identification Card
- Canadian Student Authorization
- Certificate issued by a government ministry or agency
- Current Employee Card from a Sponsoring Organization
- Federal, Provincial, or Municipal Employee Card
- Other Federal ID Card, including Military
- Judicial ID Card
- Document showing the registration of a legal change of name accompanied by evidence of use or prior name for the preceding 12 months.
- Old Age Security Card
- Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Outdoors Card
- Current Registration Document from the College of a Health Profession
- Current Professional Association License/Membership Card for any Regulated Health Profession
- Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
- Student Identification Card
- Union Card
- Blind Persons Right Act ID Card
- Medical residents and clinical fellows must bring their Confirmation of Registration from the U of T POWER website. Without it, you cannot be registered.
- Undergraduate elective medical students need to present a printed confirmation of their rotation when they register.
At St. Michael’s we strive to provide a vast array of educational opportunities. Observerships are one way which those who are not officially affiliated with St. Michael’s have an opportunity to see how our staff interact with and treat our patients every day. That being said, we must balance patient safety and privacy with educational needs and so there are restrictions on who can observe at St. Michael’s.